The day began with group work on how to deal with people we disagree with. This is based on workshops that are being done across the church.
Motion on Report of the Governance Review Group
- Motion put forward to welcome Governance direction of travel.
- Synod made clear its intention to thoroughly scrutinze the report through an amendment that passed and two further amendments that fell but had strong support.
- A strong sense from members that there needs to be a clearer direction of travel. Promises to listen to Synod.
- Pete Spiers to be appointed as Chair of the Appointments Committee.
- Dame Caroline Spellman appointed Chair of the Dioceses Commission
Persecuted Church in the World
- Plight of Christians around the world raised. 1 in 7 Christians face persecution.
- Amendment tabled and passed to broaden the scope wider than just Christians.
- Unanimous support to take a stand for the persecuted church.
Consultation on Proposed Changes to the Canterbury CNC
- Early stage report to be taken note of and then discussed.
- Concern about whether the remit of the AoC role needs to be looked at.
- An attempt to stop the report being taken note off failed and the motion passed.
Download Full Day's Notes